Via Christi Hospital St. Francis is Wichita's and southcentral Kansas’ leader in heart care, using the latest medical advances to care for our cardiac patients.
Via Christi now offers the latest advancement for treating coronary artery disease. Absorb stents open up blocked arteries to restore blood flow, then dissolve over the course of three years to allow the artery to resume natural movement. Learn more.
Heart Valve Clinic
The Heart Valve Clinic provides the expertise of a team of structural cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons who care for patients with cardiac valve disease.
The clinic is equipped to work with patients who have cardiac valve disease, especially those with complicating conditions such as advanced age, co-morbidities or prior history. A hybrid operating room, one of only about 125 in the United States, includes cath lab equipment, anesthesia, special lighting, a video and monitoring system, and a CT scan that provides a 3D image of the heart and its vessels. It allows fixed imaging in the sterile environment of the operating room.
If you have been diagnosed with any of the following conditions, you might be a good candidate to be seen by our multispecialty team:
- Hole in the heart (patent foramen ovale, atrial or ventricular septal defect)
- Hardening of the aortic valve (aortic valve stenosis)
- Moderate or severe hardening of the mitral valve (mitral stenosis)
- Severe leakage of the mitral valve (mitral valve regurgitation)
- Hardening of the pulmonary valve (pulmonary valve stenosis)
- Those who are at higher risk for traditional valve replacement surgery
Treatment options include:
- Traditional open-heart surgery for those healthy enough
- Minimally invasive surgery options for high-risk patients
- Balloon valvuloplasty: A catheter with a balloon is used to enlarge the valve opening.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): A catheter is used to carry and insert a replacement valve.
- MitraClip: A steerable catheter carries a clip to repair mitral valve regurgitation.
- Lariat: This suture delivery device is used for soft tissue closure.
- Hybrid procedures: Combines minimally invasive surgery with simultaneous percutaneous procedure
Heart Failure Management Program
Via Christi Heart Failure Disease Management Program is designed to help patients stay out of the hospital and live better, more vigorous lives. Our multidisciplinary team includes advanced registered nurse practitioners, physicians, nurses, a dietitian, a pharmacist, and a social worker. A cardiologist also is available to complement the team.
- Detailed patient evaluation and quality of life assessment
- Learning needs assessment
- Dietary assessment and counseling
- Pharmacist and social worker support
- Comprehensive patient and family education
- Phone follow up and close patient monitoring as needed
The Chest Pain Center at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis is fully accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
The Chest Pain Center uses proven best practice protocols and processes in managing and providing care for the acute coronary syndrome (ACS) patient. With the approach, medical care is maximized during the critical period of a heart attack. Additionally, many patients may have chest pain but the exact cause is unknown. Physicians admit these patients with an uncertain diagnosis to the Chest Pain Center.
While there, the patients are closely watched, complete serial blood and ECG testing are conducted, and cardiac stress testing is scheduled if indicated. The physician decides whether admission is required or the patient can be safely dismissed to go home based on the results of this testing. The Chest Pain Center’s goal is to safely dismiss the patient as soon as possible.
The Chest Pain Center strives to not only improve the care of the ACS patient but also to be a resource for the community in early heart attack care. All of this is accomplished by improving our relationship with EMS providers, fostering teamwork among hospital departments, improving patient flow, following established protocols and increasing community awareness.
Via Christi’s Cardiac Rehabilitation program combines education with exercise to create a personal plan to help manage your cardiac health. To help you understand your heart condition, you will learn about cardiac risk factors, exercise, nutrition and proper use of your medication.