Wamego Health Center established Support Group Meetings when a community member came to us searching for assistance in coping with the struggles of caring for a loved one with cancer. After receiving input from this individual and other community members and with the support of Wamego Health Center employees the Support Group was formed.
Why attend a support group meeting?
The purpose of a support group is sharing with and supporting one another for the mutual benefit of the total group. Some essential elements of our support group are:
Active, involved listening to others
- Others' care and being heard
- Meeting and accepting each other's needs
- Receiving understanding and giving an opportunity for others to be understood
- An awareness of common needs and strength's
- A place to find courage and to take risks
- Providing an atmosphere to get in touch with oneself
- Positive and negative views can be expressed without judgement or labeling
NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. in the Wamego Health Center Conference Room. Group members attending will chose the next meeting date.
Led by Wamego Health Center's Heritage Program Director Barbara Owens, LSCSW, the group is open to the public. Please contact Ms. Owens at 785-458-7372 if you have questions regarding the group.