HealthGrades 2012 ratings ranked Via Christi best in Kansas for stroke care
One Kansas hospital stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to quality stroke care: Via Christi Hospital in Wichita. HealthGrades, an independent hospital quality ratings company, named Via Christi No. 1 in Kansas for Treatment of Stroke 7 years in a row (2006-2012). Via Christi also was named to HealthGrades' 2012 list of America's 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care and Critical Care.
Primary Stroke Center Certification
Via Christi has worked to meet rigorous standards established by The Joint Commission for certification as a Primary Stroke Center, a designation it has held since December 2005.
Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association recognizes Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis for achieving 85% or higher adherence to all stroke achievement indicators for 24 consecutive months and 75% or higher compliance with quality measures, which leads to better patient care and outcomes.
From the initial emergency through hospitalization and rehabilitation, people who experience a stroke receive the latest, most effective comprehensive treatments at Via Christi's Stroke Center.
Learn more about the Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
Via Christi offers:
- Region's only dedicated Neurocritical Care Unit staffed with specially trained neuroscience nurse practitioners and bedside nurses
- Medical direction by James Walker, MD, Kansas' only physician board-certified in neurocritical care, critical care and anesthesiology
- Acute Stroke Response Teams that assemble in the Emergency Room within minutes to quickly evaluate patients for use of clot-busting medications
- Advanced diagnostics
- Advanced neurosurgery (i.e. aneurysm coiling and clipping, AVM embolization, etc.)
- Area's premier inpatient rehab facility, Via Christi Rehabilitation Hospital
- Interventional/reperfusion therapies:
- Intra-arterial tPA
- Merci Retrieval System
- Penumbra clot extraction
- Alligator Retrieval Device
- Intracerebral balloon angioplasty
- Carotid and vertebral artery stenting
- Intra-arterial treatment for vasospasms