Tips for Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Daytime performance depends on adequate, restorative sleep the night before. How can you improve your chances of obtaining adequate sleep? The answer is proper sleep hygiene.
Here are some tips to better sleep hygiene and, therefore, better sleep:
- Observe a regular bedtime and awakening time
- Establish a bedtime ritual
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine and nicotine intake
- Create a sleep-friendly environment
- Utilize the bed and bedroom for intimacy and sleep only
- Take a warm bath before bed
- Do not take naps during the day
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages in the evening
Sleep hygiene, much like personal hygiene, is an individual issue. No one can do these things for you. But if you do take the time to follow these nine simple tips you will be on your way to better, more restful sleep.