Via Christi's Women's Imaging Center offers one of the most advanced technologies in breast cancer detection today. Our full-time board certified radiologists bring special expertise in reading mammograms.
All mammograms are "double checked" with the assistance of computer aided detection (CAD). This special CAD system provides an added layer of accuracy, by highlighting areas of concern. Along with our top-notch breast imaging technologists and support staff, the entire team works to ensure that women get timely appointments and results in a comfortable setting.
What Everyone Needs To Know About Breast Cancer Screening
In accordance with the American Cancer Society, Via Christi Hospital at 1 Mt Carmel Way in Pittsburg recommends:
- Women get a baseline mammogram between the ages of 35 and 40.
- Women get a yearly mammogram after age 40.
If a woman has a family history of breast cancer, it may be recommended that she start having mammograms at an earlier age. Any woman with a family history of breast cancer should seek the advice of her physician regarding when she should start with her baseline mammogram.
Recommendations for Your Mammogram:
- Please allow 30 minutes for your mammogram
- Do not wear body powder or deodorant.
- Please wear two-piece clothing, as it will be more convenient.
- A caffeine-free diet for several days before your mammogram will reduce breast tenderness.
- Please be on time for your appointment.
- Keep your menstrual cycle in mind when scheduling your appointment.
- The breasts are less sensitive to the compression a week to ten days post-menses.
To schedule your mammogram, call outpatient scheduling at 620-232-0447.