The history of Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg is intertwined with the communities we serve. Mother Bernard Sheridan first opened the doors of what was then known as Mt. Carmel Hospital on a rainy spring day in 1903. She, along with five Sisters of St. Joseph, operated the small 20 bed hospital tending to the health needs of their mining community.
Known simply as Mt. Carmel, this small hospital was the first of many health care ministries sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph. As the community grew so did the hospital. In 1968 a community campaign helped raise nearly $1 million towards the construction of our current five story, 188 bed hospital.
In 1995, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Wichita and the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother adapted to the changing needs of the times and formed Via Christi Health System. Via Christi means "The Way of Christ." The new name, mission and core values statement and logo all marked the beginning of a new chapter in the ministries that the Sisters had stewarded for more than a century.
Since that time Via Christi Health has continued a strong tradition of bringing together compassionate care and contemporary technology to carry forward the healing ministry of Jesus.