If you're a news reporter or other media representative seeking a patient condition, please contact Communications staff at the appropriate Via Christi Health ministry.
Via Christi hospitals follow the American Hospital Association release of information guidelines, which are based on and in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) of 1996.
In most cases we can provide a one-word condition report:
- UNDETERMINED - Patient is awaiting physician assessment.
- GOOD - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits; indicators are excellent. Patient is conscious and comfortable.
- FAIR - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits; indicators are favorable. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable.
- SERIOUS - Vital signs may be unstable and/or not within normal limits; indicators are unfavorable. Patient is acutely ill.
- CRITICAL - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits; indicators are unfavorable. Patient may be unconscious.
We do not release name, age, home town or description of illness or injury without authorization of the patient.
Patients who are public figures or well-known personalities are given the same confidentiality considerations afforded any other patient.