Once a seizure has started, it must run its course. It's important to keep the person safe and above all, stay calm. Proper first aid, where needed, can be very helpful.
- Protect from injury – Clear dangerous objects from area; cushion falls; remove glasses; cushion head;
- Don't restrain movement – Gently guide from hazards unless sudden danger threatens
- Never force anything in mouth
- Help breathing – Loosen tie or collar; turn on side when convulsions have stopped
- Stay with person – Remain calm and reassuring as consciousness returns
- Don't encourage premature activity – No liquids, standing or walking until postseizure confusion subsides
- If injury occurs or if seizure lasts longer than five to 10 minutes, take person to ER or call 911