Transforming Cancer Care
The new Via Christi Cancer Institute at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis transforms the way cancer care and services are provided in Wichita.
The goal is to create the ideal patient and family experience during what can be a long and difficult battle. That means starting with a clean slate to create a comfortable care environment for patients and families - and efficient for physicians and caregivers. Needed supplies, equipment and computer workstations are within 50 steps of the patient bedside.
Like the Via Christi Hospital St. Teresa in west Wichita, the Cancer Institute's design uses natural light and other elements of nature. It also incorporates many of the other amenities being introduced in the new hospital, such as environmental, educational and entertainment controls at the bedside.
The new Via Christi Cancer Institute spans the entire north side of the seventh floor of Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis and includes:
- 40 spacious private patient rooms including two radiation therapy rooms with private bathrooms and six private bone marrow transplant treatment rooms
- Ambulatory infusion center with four private and three community treatment bays
- Integrated therapies with a media room and dedicated space for yoga, art and massage therapy
- Two family gathering rooms, temporary family sleep quarters and a family laundry center
- Education resource room with Internet access
- six bone marrow transplant beds - an increase over what's currently available - to accommodate the growing volume
Leading Cancer Care
The area's leader in cancer care, Via Christi features Wichita's only program accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and the Foundation for Accreditation for Cellular Therapy. State-of-the-art treatment technologies - like the area's only CyberKnife® and the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System - make Via Christi one of the most advanced cancer centers in the nation.
This commitment to the latest treatment technologies and clinical trials combined with our highly-trained and compassionate team of clinical experts may be the reason that more people in Wichita prefer to receive cancer treatment at Via Christi (NRC 2010).