The Via Christi Pulmonary Rehabilitation program combines education with exercise to create an individualized program for you. We will teach you about your lung condition, how it affects your respiratory system – and your overall health – and ways to improve your quality of life.
Our program, certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, is managed by a medical director, respiratory therapists, registered nurses and exercise specialists.
The program includes:
- Breathing retraining: Breathlessness is a major program of lung disease. Simple breathing techniques can help you maintain better control of your breathing and experience less shortness of breath.
- Exercise: Gentle and progressive exercise will increase your strength and endurance, which means you can do more of what you want to do and expend less effort doing it.
- Stress and emotions: Being short of breath can make you feel anxious, which may lead to panic attacks in stressful situations.
- Nutrition: What you eat may affect how you breathe, how well you feel, how well you are able to fight infections and your ability to maintain an adequate body weight.
- Medications: Regular use of medications can decrease common symptoms of lung disease and improve your well-being. In our program, you will learn the purpose of your medications, possible side effects and proper precautions.
Is it right for you?
If you are having difficulty breathing, ask your physician to refer you to Via Christi Pulmonary Rehabilitation for an evaluation, or call 316-268-8200.