Occupational therapy enables people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health and prevent-or live better with-illness, injury or disability.
The Occupational Therapy Department at Wamego City Hospital can assist with achieving and maintaining independence with every day activities such as dressing, bathing or eating. We can also assist you with rehabilitation of injuries to the shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist and hand. The occupational therapist's approach to rehabilitation goes beyond only treating an injury to include the entire person and each individual's functional needs and roles. The ultimate goal is the client's return to participation in his or her daily activities.
Interventions used by our Occupational Therapist include:
• Therapeutic activities
• Therapeutic exercise
• Orthotic design, selection, fitting, fabrication and training
• Joint protection or energy conservation instruction
• Ergonomic and activity modification in home, work, school or leisure
• Sensory re-education
• Scar management
• Pain management
• Work conditioning or work hardening
• Training in Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and adaptive or assistive devices
• Education for postsurgical or post-injury safety, including sensory loss
Leslie Garner, Physical Therapist