Communication and swallowing are vital to daily living for people of all ages — from children to the elderly. Mercy Regional Health Center makes speech therapy available to hospital patients, inpatient rehabilitation patients, nursing home patients, and people who need treatment on an outpatient basis.
A wide variety of life events and diseases can cause speech, language and swallowing dysfunctions. Whatever the reason for your speech difficulties, we can help.
Could speech therapy help?
You could benefit from speech therapy if you:
- Are difficult to understand
- Have slurred speech
- Take inappropriate pauses
- Repeat words
- Have a hoarse, trembling or weak voice
- Have had vocal cord surgery
- Have difficulty thinking of the words you want to say
- Have trouble following directions
- Struggle with reading and written communication
- Have attention and concentration impairment
- Have memory loss
- Have difficulty with problem-solving or reasoning
- Suffered a head injury
- Need help with language development
Could swallowing therapy help?
You could benefit from swallowing therapy if you:
- Have difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Cough or choke during or after meals
- Have a gurgly vocal quality
- Are unable to control food or saliva
- Have recurring pneumonia
- Have unexplained weight loss